Teaching Style

To be honest, I don't feel that Grasha's Teaching Styles Inventory was very illuminating to me. Maybe it was just the way that I answered all the questions, but I felt that it didn't really tell me how I taught. All the answers seemed to be close, but it deemed some of the areas high even though the number seemed low.
Maybe this doesn't make sense to me because I am more of a visual learner (see previous post) and it didn't include a diagram. Or because I am a mathematical person who relies on number sense and objectivity and the quiz deemed a 2.87 High while a 3.12 Moderate (see the post before the previous one).
Regardless of the scoring system, the quiz seems to have identified my teaching style as "Expert." This actually makes sense to me because I am quite good at math (I have yet to see the word "humble" appear in any of my questionnaire results). My degree is in mathematics and I am currently working to get my Masters in Mathematics education. I teach three different math courses in a day and taught another my first year of teaching. These courses have ranged from ninth grade all the way up to AP Calculus. I know how to solve most problems and if I don't, I have the skills necessary to do what it takes to solve the problem. Students have no problem asking me questions and see me as a source of knowledge.
My teaching style survey identified my next highest teaching style as personal model, meaning I model for students and have them try to recreate it. I believe this is helpful to students because so many are visual, so they get to see the problem worked out. Others are kinesthetic learners so they then have the opportunity to try working a problem themselves to get a feel for it. 
I do think that I need to work on my delegation and facilitating skills, and I hope they will come with experience. 

Comments

  1. No harm in feeling good about your assets ... help those kids feel the same!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning Map

Takeaways from the Text