Warm-up Activity

For Discussion 2B, my warm-up is similar to these Diamond Problems.
The worksheet is close of a warm-up activity I normally do. I usually do not give out a worksheet, I just make up my own numbers depending on what I want the students to work on for the upcoming lesson. I then write the diamond problems on the board and have the students copy them into their workbook. I start with numbers on either side and tell the students to write their product on top and their sum on bottom. After they practice that, I give them the inverse, ask them to find the two numbers that yield a given product and sum.
This warm-up activates prior knowledge because students will need to be able to add and multiply integers in order to factor, but they are not being asked to factor yet. I am simply making sure that students can determine the numbers that they will soon use in a factorization. Since it is pretty easy for students at the 10th grade level, it builds their confidence and gets them interested in the upcoming lesson.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Style

Learning Map

Takeaways from the Text