Teaching Mathematics with Videos

For Discussion 2A, I chose the following video:
I chose a video from Khan Academy. I often use Khan Academy, not as a replacement for instruction, but as a supplement. I use it for students who are absent, need a quick refresher of a topic, or cannot understand my instruction. I have especially chose this video because I have used it before. This past school year was my first year teaching AP Calculus, which has presented me with a slew of new challenges. 
Riemann sums, the topic of this video are not the most difficult topic in Calculus, but I found it difficult to model. As shown in the video, it is very visual and requires a lot of drawing. This proved difficult for me on the white board, where i often messed up the exact points on the graph, the shape of the graph, or the straight lines needed. Though I tried to do it on my own, this video really helped clarify the ideas I presented and provided more insight for the students. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Style

Learning Map

Takeaways from the Text