Learning Style

According to a learning style quiz available at https://www.webtools.ncsu.edu/learningstyles/ there are four continuums of learning: Active vs. Reflective, Sensing vs. Intuitive, Visual vs. Verbal, and Sequential vs. Global. Upon taking this quiz, I found that I am pretty well balanced in the first, second, and fourth continuum leaning slightly toward active, sensing, and global, respectively. The main area that I seem very unbalanced in is Visual vs. Verbal. According to this test, I almost completely favor a visual learning style over a verbal one. This means that I prefer diagrams, photos, and maps over things like text and explanations.
 Fortunately, I do not think that this will be a huge issue for most of my students. As one can expect, I often teach how I learn and add visuals to the mix as often as possible. I think that in the age of immediate access to information social media such as Instagram and Snapchat, many students are becoming more visual learners. Math itself is often better understood with visual representations.
However, verbally inclined students do not go neglected. I was taught (like many people) through lectures and textbooks so many of those verbal styles are inherent in my teaching, I have just also added visuals into my teaching.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Style

Learning Map

Takeaways from the Text